Bob Moesta Part 1
Bob Moesta: From nothing to somethingBob Moesta is the CEO and President of the Re-Wired group, a consultancy specializing in demand-side innovation. Bob and his team help large companies innovate with demand-side techniques and learn methods – meaning that he helps them validate market demand before building something. Bob and I share a mutual love of using #jobs-to-be-done to innovate smarter and help people ask better questions. I love Bob’s down-to-earth perspective and deep insights into the systemic nature of innovation – derived from being on the front lines of innovation in Japan. Listen in and learn about the key qualities and habits that lead to successful innovations.
More on Bob Moesta Part 1
About this episode
The Jobs-to-be-done world is filled with fascinating characters – and Bob Moesta is a particularly vivid one. I love his Japanese-influenced approach to customer demand generation and lean practices. Check out these interview highlights for a peek into Bob’s brain:
- 5:30 how a childhood brain injury forced Bob to “hack school” and become an early maker and tinkerer
- 7:30 how Bob became Peter Demming’s intern and tagged along on a life-changing trip to Japan
- 9:11 why asking great questions is more important than having answers
- 10:04 supply-side economics vs demand-side economics – and why Bob is focused on demand-side marketing
- 11:03 “Let’s look at the consumer as a system and understand what causes them to change behavior”
- 17:54 connecting the 5 whys technique to outcome-driven innovation
- 18:42 systems with verbs (actions) vs systems with nouns (components)
- 22:20 the evolution of an innovator – from features & benefits to #JTBD
- 23:02“Innovation is the responsibility of the producer, not the consumer” – Peter Demming
- 24:40 how to interview people to surface #JTBD
- 25:54 how much fidelity should you prototype take?
If you’re curious about #JTBD this episode is not to be missed!